ruby imagines

Thursday, June 01, 2006

Homecoming

It was Friday morning somewhere around ten bells. I was already exhausted from an hour and a half of racing around work, pulling orders and fixing problems. Steve was my next customer and I was not looking forward to serving him at that moment. Any day was not a good day to screw up on his orders.

"Next... Hi Steve." I entered the primary info into the system. " P.O. or tag"

"Windermere, it's a short one. I just need two lengths of pex pipe, 3/4. "

"Wirsbo?"

"Yes"

"Not a problem." I sent it to print and went to the back to get the pex. It was during that time that he came in the door. I didn't notice him at first because he was standing behind the racking. Coming back with a pretzel of pex in my hands, I grabbed Steve's invoice off the printer and flipped the pipe over the counter. It was then that I noticed him. All I could do in that moment was freeze. Steve signed and ripped off his yellow copy.

"Ruby?"

"Sorry." I snapped out my delirium. Not taking my eyes of the now stranger that had just walked back into my world. The line was growing and the guys were all with customers. He was next.

"Next." Eye contact. " I can help you over here."

He smiled. "I hope you can." There were way too many people at the counter that morning. None, except maybe one, that knew what was racing through my mind at the moment. And definitely none that I want to loose emotional composure in front.

We just started at each other for all of five seconds. He was the first to speak.

"Hi Ruby."

"Hi." I couldn't even bring myself to mention his name. Oh, I hadn't forgotten it. For the last two years, I hadn't forgotten it. Maybe I didn't want to acknowledge his presence. My eyes glanced back at the line. It seemed to have dissipated. No one was waiting. He turned around and noticed the lull.

I took that as my opportunity to leave. I walked around the counter and headed straight out the front door. And as I expected, he followed, running to catch up.

"I hope you don't mind if I take this conversation away from the crowd." I couldn't bear to look at him. My gut was ripping to shreds inside. How ironic, I wanted this moment, even prayed for it. Now that it was here, I didn't know what to do or say. Was I angry, because it took him two years to see me? Was I on the verge of tears because I missed him still? Did I want to slap him or... just through my arms around him and hold on?

"Ruby."

We had gained enough distance from the shop that I knew I wasn't going to be central attraction. But I couldn't bring my legs to stop. He grabbed me by the hand to stop me. Something startled me as I looked down I can't ever remember holding hands. He didn't let go. I brought myself to look up. I wasn't the only one that had worked up the tears. No one could speak. It almost felt like words would ruin things. How could he explain his absence so I would understand. How could I convince him that despite everything... I still loved him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home