ruby imagines

Sunday, April 23, 2006

Jesus' dating service

"Ruby, are you there?"

I wiped my eyes and shook my head. It was the Lord calling

"Yes, Lord, I'm here."

"I have a surprise for you."

Breathing in deeply, I smiled. Jesus often came to me with surprises. He was always so generous with his gifts. Mmmm... what does he have for me this time.

"Let me guess. My mom is coming for a visit."

"Nope. Not today."

"I have a new kid in my Sunday school class."

"No one new this week"

"A raise at work?" I knew I was pushing it.

"Ruby, I have something much better for you."

Better than mom coming for a visit. Wow!

"What is something you've been dreaming of for a very long time?"

I couldn't answer that one. I dream about a lot of things. Mostly men and cars. But I passed off the idea that a new Chevy was in my driveway. I've learned to expect greater things from the Lord than mere materials. But He has surprised me before.

"Come with me. I want you to meet someone."

"A new friend?"

"Yes. A new friend."

I wonder what she's going to be like. Older, younger, a mom with four children, single, maybe a grandmother. I sure miss my Oma... I like new friends. I sure hope she's from Calgary.

We went to the park, my Lord and I. He took me for a long walk until we came to a small cafe by the river.

"Let's sit down, Ruby. He'll be here shortly."

"He?"

"Yes, He."

Wait a minute. I'm not getting set up here, am I? Lord, we talked about this in great detail. I'm not ready for him yet.

"But you've been dreaming about him. It's time. I want you to meet him."

But I'm not ready.

"You're ready, you're just not perfect. Don't worry, he's not either."

I looked around the people at the cafe. There were young people, old people, married people and not so married people.

"He's not here yet, girl. But he'll come."

"You're sure?"

"You don't trust me, do you?"

"Of course I trust you."

"With a lot of things... yes, but with him?"

That was a hard one to answer. The past dictated that I trusted no one when it came to men... or maybe it was that I trusted too much... and got hurt. Either way it was a bad area for me. Looking at Jesus, I saw someone who had been with me my whole life. I saw a man who was radiantly the epitome of perfection. Now he was telling me that I didn't trust him. If I couldn't trust him, who could I trust.

"I'm sorry, Lord. It's just too hard right now. I've lost so much."

"I know, Ruby. Don't you think I know how much you've lost?"

"Yes."

"Don't you believe that I willing to give you something even greater than what you've lost? Don't you believe I can give you someone beyond you're wildest expectations?"

"Lord, yes. You can do anything. I know that."

"Have I healed you, Ruby?"

Ouch. Another one I couldn't answer. There was still so much pain inside. Maybe that's why I didn't feel ready. But what else could I do. Every time I sensed a healing taking place, another heartbreak would find a home.

"I love you so much, girl. I wish you knew that."

"But I do. I really do."

"Then trust me." He was crying now. I wasn't waiting for the love of my life. This was the love of my life. He always has been. But I had let others come in the way. I let my pain come in the way of the best thing I ever had.

"How, Lord? How do I trust you enough?"

"I'll help you, Ruby. Look, he's coming..."

But I couldn't take my eyes off Jesus.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home